Sunday, April 11, 2010

Families Are Forever

We met in 1978 in a ward at BYU. We dated, fell in love, (and still are) and were married in the Salt Lake City temple on November 17,1978. Our parents were there with us. Maybe you children were there also, who knows? We started on a journey that we had no idea where it would lead, only with a faith that families indeed are forever. We were very poor, we were inexperienced, we were struggling through school, getting an education with a hope that we would be able to support a family. Thank you to good parents who taught us the principles of the gospel and helped lead us to the temple.

We grew older, gray hair coming on over the years. (At least to one of us.) We've traveled the world, experienced the ups and downs of life, love, work and marriage.

Then along came more love in the form of three sweet daughters--a manifestation of God's love for us. As I read Blaire's blog tonight about her little ones, I was reminded of the wonderful blessing of being a young parent. Blaire, we love you just like you love Preston and William. Brooke, we love you just like you love Benson and Sydney. Breann, we love you just like how you will love a newborn baby and just like we love Brooke and Blaire.


Then, more love was added to our eternal family. You brought Peter Mackay, Andrew William, and Michael Allen to our family. They all have brought an additional measure of eternity and love to our lives. We really believe that each of our daughters made wise and excellent choices in their spouse. They are now their "soul mates."
What eternal love do we experience now? Grandchildren remind us all over again of the love we feel for little ones, especially as we help nurture them and play with them. What a great blessing Benson, Preston, Sydney and William are to us.
Two nights ago, I gave a fireside talk to the young women of our ward about the temple. I showed this very picture to them, to illustrate the reason we go to the temple. It is to bring this family and all the rest that will be added in the future, into eternity. I told them that I have never felt more love in my life than I do at this time. I experience from all directions, from parents, from children, from grandchildren and most frequently from my eternal mate.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

We love you two too! I'm so happy to be a parents and experience this love with my babies. It also helps me realize what you felt and feel for me. Even larger, I think of our Heavenly Father and all that He must feel and all that He shares with us. I am happy and grateful to be part of an eternal family!

TerryLynn Carpenter said...

Nicely done!!!

Anonymous said...

I love you too mom and dad. Thanks for blogging again and don't forget to send me those pictures.

Blaire Ostler said...

ohhhh, great post dad:)it's hard to think of your own parents as young parents, but i guess we were babies once too:) thanks for sharing some perspective.

Blaire Ostler said...

oh and i almost forgot, i love you too:)

The Plumbs said...

What a beautiful family! We love you guys and miss you!