Yes, I finally did something I have wanted to do since I was a teenager--HeliSki. Except that over the last 10 years I switched to snowboarding, so it was officially heli-boarding. Here's how it happened. Steve Snow, my partner, has gone heli-skiing several times; and his brother, Larry Snow, also an orthopedic surgeon, who has gone heli-skiing every year for the past 25 years, including 3-5 day trips up in Canada, called me and asked if I was interested in going to a one day excursion in the north cascades. I talked with Patti about it and she prayed that I wouldn't be killed in an avalanche for weeks. After we discussed it, we decided it was about time and so I signed up. I wasn't sure how to qualify myself as an intermediate or advanced boarder, certainly not an expert boarder. Patti's biggest concern was I'd be killed. My biggest concern was: would I slow everyone down who were experienced powder skiers? Well it turns out that I was in great shape and didn't have any problem keeping up with everyone, in fact, I was huffing and puffing a lot less than the other 3 skiers in my group.
So, here's how it happened. We drove up to Mazama, a small town just north of Wenatchee, WA, on Wednesday evening. We stayed in this lodge (see below) overnight then the next morning had breakfast at a small diner in Mazama and headed over to the heli-barn. 
After we arrived at the heli-barn, we had a 1 hour class on avalanche danger (which was not present that day), avalanche rescue and survival. We even had to go out of the heli-barn and do an exercise on locating buried beacons as if it were a buried person. We all carried beacons as you can see strapped around my chest. The picture below is during our training time.
Well, after the practice rescues, we loaded up, one group of 4, with a guide, and the helicopter pilot and headed up into the terrain. We landed on the top and were dropped off.
This is me, looking all excited and really pumped to drop off to the right down the powder bowl. We carved untouched powder pretty much all day long. It was awesome, we even went through the trees. Then we would get down about 3400 vertical feet and get to the landing zone where we were picked up and ferried back up to the same run again, then to a different peak. Below is an example of some of the terrain, glades and bowls, through which I most excellently carved..
Well, it was a great day. Boarding powder is not that difficult and is freakin' AWESOME. I hope to do it again some day.
After we arrived at the heli-barn, we had a 1 hour class on avalanche danger (which was not present that day), avalanche rescue and survival. We even had to go out of the heli-barn and do an exercise on locating buried beacons as if it were a buried person. We all carried beacons as you can see strapped around my chest. The picture below is during our training time.
Dad



6 comments:
My husband is a freakin Stud!!
Yeah, mom, and you're a nervous nelly.
That is so awesome dad. I think it's so cool you're my dad and you still do fun things and you're only 25 years old, right?! You rally should keep it up so you can take the boys with you sometime. They could board with you at what age 12?:) Keep up on the bucket list I want to see more!
Mom I want to hear about your bucket list too!
1. That is pretty "freakin' awesome" Dad! It's on our life-long wish list. Maybe we'll go with you next time:)
2. Of course you excellently carved it up! You rock Dad! What was that nonsense about not being in shape.... don't you ride the bike every day:)
3. Die? Mom, what's the deal? It's all good!!! Everything is okay.
4. I want to be that 17 year old kids who gets to tag along. LUCKY!
5. WHAT Blaire... 12... no way. We're putting Benson on a board when he's 3 or 4, you know, over in the Alps!
Good for you Dad. Glad you had a good time.
Of course you did more than just "keep up", they don't call you "Clyde the Glide" for nothing. (Well maybe I'm the only one that calls you that, but still, it applies) you guys are amazing!!! (Patti, it had to be a little bit assuring that there were surgeons on the trip :-)
ummmm, Jack Nicholson, so when do I get to see pictures of snowmobiling???
Post a Comment